How do I communicate with my contacts?
All users must create a SecurityNet ID when they install the PC app software – similar to when you create an email address.
Exchange SecurityNet Ids so you can communicate with each other – in exactly the same way you exchange email addresses.
How to add a new contact?
- Click on the Contacts icon, and click “New Contact”
- Enter contact’s SecurityNet Id (required – and it must exist on the SecurityNet network)
- Enter their name – a name that is meaningful to you (required)
- If you want, you can enter an email address so you can send a regular email if you need. For example, you have data to send but the contact is not online – send them an email to start up their SecurityNet app.
- Click “Save”
Can I update new contact details?
- Click on the Contacts icon, highlight the contact and click “Update Contact” . Or you can double-click the contact to update.
- You can change anything except the SecurityNet ID
- Click “Save”
Can I delete a contact?
- Click on the Contacts icon, highlight the contact and click “Delete Contact”
- Click “Save” – and they are gone
There may be times when you no longer want to hear from someone. If you remove them from your list they can no longer communicate with you.
What if someone deletes me from their contact list?
- You will be unable to connect to this contact. When you select files or create a text message to send to them, SecurityNet check to see if your contact is online. If they have removed you from their list, they will never be shown as online.
Overview: How to select files to send to your contacts
- It is very easy to select the files that you want to send:
- Select one or more contacts from your list (use the Ctrl key when highlighting to select multiple contacts)
- In the folder pane, navigate to the folder where your data resides
- In the files pane, highlight the files you want to send, and click on the right arrow to copy to the selection list
- Click the “send files” button.
Can I select more than one contact to send my files to?
- Yes, of course.
- Click on a contact to highlight it as selected.
- If you want to select more than one, hold down the Ctrl key and highlight the extra contacts you want to select
How do I navigate to the folder I need?
- This works in a similar manner to the Windows Explorer.
- Click on the + sign next to a drive or top-level folder to reveal the sub folders
- Click on other folders till you find the one you are looking for
- Highlight the folder, and the files will appear in the file view pane
How can I select the files to send?
- This also works in a similar manner to the Windows Explorer.
- Highlight the files you want to select from that folder, and click the right arrow
- If you want to send more files from a different fold, just go back to the folder view and select another folder
Can I remove files from the selection list?
- Yes, of course.
- Click on a file in the Outbox to highlight it as selected, and click the left arrow to remove it from the list
- To remove multiple files, hold the Crtl key while you select. Click left arrow to remove.
- You can remove all of the files my clicking the “Clear Outbox” button at the bottom of the page.
Send the files
- Simply click on the “Send Files” button.
- The system will ask if you are sure. Just click “Yes” to confirm, or “No” to cancel the send request.
- Send a message to one or more of your contacts.
- Select your contacts
- Enter the message subject
- Enter the text of your message.
- Click “Send Message”
A simple text file will be created and placed in the Outbox of each of your contacts selected.
- Each of your contacts has an Inbox and an Outbox.View the Inbox (files and message received) and the Outbox (files and messages waiting to be sent).
- Select a contact
- The files are shown in the corresponding Inbox or Outbox pane
- To view the files in the Windows Explorer, click the corresponding “View in Explorer” button.
- This is the process that controls all the connections for your contacts.This works behind the scenes to send your files to your contacts, and to receive their files into your inbox.
- When the traffic light shows red, click to start the send/receive process. The traffic shows yellow while it is starting up.
- When traffic light shows green, this indicates the process is fully running
- Send/receive starts a connection for each one of your contacts that has files waiting to be sent to them.
- It checks all other contacts to see if they have files to send to you. If so, it starts a connection to receive the files.
- The send/receive process keeps cycling around, checking your contacts to see if there is anything to process.
- When you want to stop the send/receive process, click the green traffic light. The traffic shows yellow while it is shutting down.
- When traffic light shows red, this indicates the process is completely stopped.
- This screen shows the list of contacts that are waiting to send and receive files.
- Once the send/receive has completed for that contact, it is removed from the list.
- To see the send/receive progress for a contact, double click on the contact when the status says “sending” or “receiving” and the progress for each file is displayed as it is being processed.
What does the activity screen show me?
- The main Activity Log screen shows a list of the files that you have sent and received.
- This list will hold this list for 30 days, unless you configure it differently. See the configuration screen, below.
Does SecurityNet keep any system and traffic logs?
- Each connection also creates a daily file of its processing, if there is any. This is a file of technical messages generated by the send/receive process. These are also retained for 30 days unless you configure otherwise.
- You can delete these files manually at any time, but you cannot delete today’s log file until midnight, when a new file is started.
- These files are useful for debugging purposes if you run into problems. If necessary, we at SecuyrityNet will ask you to send us a log file so we can analyse any send/receive problem you may encounter.
Can I see the activity logs in Real-Time?
- Yes, you can see the live activity for each contact, if you are interested. As a log message is added to a log file, this can also be displayed in real-time for you.
Set the number of days to retain activity logs. This controls how many days worth of send/receive files you have on the main list, as well as the background system activity logs
SecurityNet is set to display notifications when you send or receive files. Uncheck to turn thes off.
Number of concurrent process….
This tells SecurityNet how many files the system can send or receive at the same time.
Initially it is set to 1. But if you have super fast internet and loads of memory, you can configure this. It all depends upon how much muscle your PC has.